The 40's

The vague and in the main unimportant ramblings of a near-40 year old in the middle(?) of his normal life, with his normal family, normal job and hopefully normal thoughts, hopes and fears. Amuse yourself for a few minutes as you're passing thru the web by catching a glimpse of my journey from 'Tough and Ruthless' to 'Rough and Toothless'

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

I'm great, only not. You'll see...

Thursday, June 09, 2005

'Our man in Kabul'

Just 'skyped' my mate in Afghanistan; He's doing very well. Weather is ridiculously hot. Hes in the north of the country helping the UN help the Afghans set up the election infrastructure out there. Its not the safest job in the world, but he's done worse, and as he said, its in the warlords' (!) best interest to look after them as they are the ones up for election.
So I'm pushing my technological envelope and discovering all sorts of apps to help with communications; Skype is so cool! ( Apparently its like 'Vonage' - you know VoIP-type stuff ) you can talk or type and its free. Also, we're sharing pictures on 'Flickr' ( I know some of you already use this ;-D ) - what an excellent idea and it so easy to use too.
Finally, now we're not training as much, I've got time to build my own website. Using a free program off a magazine disc called NetFusion. Seems easy so far, and my 1st site is up in the virtual world. I know I've only scratched the surface of this program, but so far its not too bad, and the first site was ready in a few hours.
So, feeling the need for a 'well done T', I made some white chocolate and raspberry muffins! Oh yes, superbly gorgeous I can tell you. In fact they were SO good that they went before I could 'Flickr' them to Kabul. Ah well, that would have been teasing anyway, and he has a gun...

6 Comments:

Blogger paintergirl said...

It's good to hear that your friend is doing well. Still a bit scary though. If it weren't for all the war stuff going on, it would be a nice place to visit. Well, it's not the south of France but... I used to have dreams of visiting the mosques. It's an architecture fetish. Oh wait, perhaps I've said too much.

White chocolate raspberry muffins!!!!
Egads-you're super British man!!

8:46 pm  
Blogger T said...

Thankyou v much - I've just been over to your place - great cartoon!!

I'm too scared to do the song meme - too many years managing record stores in my previous life. I'm spoilt for choice AND indecisive. Todays list would definitely NOT be tomorrows!!

8:50 pm  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Oh t-don't be scared about the meme. Please do it. I carried the list around for a week. I'd have one thing written, then something else would pop in my head that I liked much better. Finally, I ended it, and typed it out. It will be funny to see this list in 10-20 years from now.

7:32 pm  
Blogger T said...

OK - you've convinced me; I'll work on it over the next few days- I know how hard it will be to keep the same things, so it'll be interesting to see what I change. Maybe i'll just keep it as a 'live' list on top of the blog

11:08 pm  
Blogger T said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts Doc - nice blog btw - whats the difference between a Giv and Gv? I'm guessing the Gv is newer / shinier/ dearer?

11:14 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Checking flickr for more photos.... God luck to the man in Kabul. I hope he stays safe and sane.

9:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home